I was actually excited to get back to eating right after the holidays. There were a few days that I felt awful after going from eating so well to all of the holiday junk. Here are some guidelines that I picked up this past summer……
- Eat breakfast within an hour of waking up.
- Have 20 – 30 grams of protein for breakfast. I find that a protein shake is the easiest way to cover #1 and #2.
- Fuel your body every 3 hours. Almonds and Greek yogurt are my favorite snacks.
- Meals/snacks should never have more than 30 grams of carbs but should have at least 10 grams of protein. It’s hard to always do this but it’s something good to keep in mind.
- Just use one piece of bread for a sandwich and avoid lunch meat. I like to make egg or tuna salad because you can eat them with or without the bread.
- Don’t eat/snack after dinner.
Here are some things that I need to work on:
- Eat more fruits and veggies. I’m not much of a fruit eater so that one is harder for me, believe it or not.
- Drink more water. Honestly, I don’t like having to go to the bathroom all day!
- Plan out more meals. I find this helps me to make better choices.
Don’t let me fool you, I don’t always make healthy choices. I find that if you log everything, you will find the foods that are worth it and the ones that are not.